Congratulations on your decision to have a beach wedding, whether it is in the Florida Keys or another breathtakingly beautiful location!
By following these 6 tips you will ensure it will be a “Picture perfect” day:
1. Communicate with your photographer. Let your photographer know the style and type of shots you desire and, if possible, give them a “Shot list” of your must have shots. Also, make them aware of anything special you’ve incorporated and don’t want missed. It is usually a good idea to meet with them before your wedding day (even if by phone or Skype) so you can establish a relationship. Yes, a photographer is hired help but they are also the person you’ll spend the most time with on your most special of occasions so make sure you like them and your day will be even more fun.
2. Hire a photographer who specializes in Destination Weddings, especially tropical destinations. These people are experienced in traveling with all of their equipment; they thrive on the new and different, can adapt quickly and are naturally resourceful. Yes, it’s usually a little more expensive to fly one in and pay their hotel but in the long run, you’ll be glad you didn’t rely on just anyone to capture your most precious of memories. Remembering the day, its mood, details and expressions of loved ones are all done through your wedding pictures which will serve as the only lasting testament to how grand your day was. You've put so much into your wedding day, please do yourself a favor and don't "skimp" on your memories of it.
3. Utilize professional Hair and Make Up Artists. Plan your hair and wardrobe around the location and its seasons. Most beaches are hot and windy so plan for your hair to be up or half up. Today’s styles of romantic braids are ideal to keep you looking fresh all day long. Airbrush make up application can cover any skin blemishes and keep you looking flawless throughout the day as welll but you can't do it by yourself. It isn't cheap either but think about how much you have put into everything else, emotionally and monitarily. You will be doing yourself a huge favor by not having to stress about how you will look.
4. Your wedding gown should certainly express your style but keep in mind beaches are sandy and usually hot with high humidity. Lace, Chiffon and light weight fabrics are your best choice along with shorter trains. The lightweight fabrics will flow beautifully, thus, contributing to dramatic imagery and you’ll stay fresher for a lot longer.
5. Plan for an additional day of photography. A day or two after the ceremony have a photo session scheduled so you can utilize the destination’s unique scenery. More often than not, the resulting images are the fine art photos that end up displayed as canvas groupings and large displays in your home. Besides, it gives you a chance to wear that stunning gown again!
6. Consider the time of day. Usually mornings offer fewer crowds and will lend to vividly colored images. Midday (noon) weddings inherently bring harsh lighting so plan for formals either early or later in the afternoon. Sunset beach weddings are always romantic but offer challenges as well. The light fades quickly and if your ceremony is scheduled for sunset there won’t be enough light for formal pictures afterwards so plan for them early. No matter what time of day you choose, don’t forget to have someone bring some water for you.
7. Last, but certainly not least, hire a wedding planner. This deserves an entire post in itself but the short of it is this; You have spent countless hours planning the grandest soiree you will likely ever host, why not have a professional who will advise you as well as keep your timeline and vendors on track for the day? Without the help of a planner, your timeline and the responsibility of it will likely fall on your photographer who already has their hands full making sure they capture all of the important moments and details of the day.
Yes, I believe this topic will be my next "Advice" post.... Why do I need a wedding planner? Stay tuned for the complete run down!
I hope this helps you plan your dream beach wedding! Have any advice to add or questions? Please comment below. I would love to hear it!